The nature of agreements and the desire to create new ones to live more authentic lives. Exploration of the first agreement in Don Miguel Ruiz’s book “The Four Agreements”: be impeccable with your word. Our word binds us and sets us free. How we use our word profoundly impacts the life we live, give your word wisely.
The Four Agreements
- Introduction – Beginning the Journey
- Be impeccable with your word – Our Word Bind Us and Sets Us Free
- Don’t take anything personally – How Others See Us and We View Ourselves
- Don’t make assumptions – We Only Know So Much
- Always do your best – The Present Holds All That Is Possible
- Conclusion – Growing Through Awareness and Forgiveness
“While our words do not encapsulate the entirety of our lives they are the means by which we socially organize our experiences, have the unconscious become conscious and form the dialogue that is back of every relationship we create, from the random platonic to the long-term romantic. The stories we tell will determine the shape of our connections and whether they will serve the purpose of growth in ever-increasing awareness or keep us asleep to the inherent potential for greatness that lies within each of us.”From A Well-Grounded Integrity
Our Word Binds Us
Being bound by our word means, we are careful when we give our word, because we keep it, whether it is given to ourselves or to others. We say what we mean, and we mean what we say. When we live this way we are more confident and have more self-respect. We trust ourselves to follow through. We become known as someone who is reliable and can be trusted. Our word binds us, but then it sets us free. Free to choose where to give it, and free to say no.